Chicago Medical Malpractice Attorney
Medical malpractice happens when a health care provider or professional fails to take appropriate medical action, neglects to provide appropriate treatment, or delivers unsatisfactory treatment that injures or kills the patient. This form of malpractice usually involves a medical error. The mistake could occur in any of the following areas: Diagnosis, treatment, aftercare, health management, and medication dosage. If you have suffered injuries at the hands of a negligent health care professional, call us today at (312) 586-1700.
Many medical malpractice errors are avoidable. Many medical malpractice cases are due to the inattentiveness of medical staff. Patients injured by careless health care professionals can file a lawsuit with the help of a skilled medical malpractice attorney.
Cases of Medical Malpractice in Chicago, IL
It is well-established that hundreds of thousands of people are harmed or killed by medical negligence. Looking at Illinois alone, there have been thousands of cases filed over the last decade that have led to millions of dollars worth of settlements and verdicts. Additionally, a recent statistic cited errors made during the care and treatment of patients by doctors, nurses, and hospitals to be the third leading cause of death. Here at the Chicago Law firm of Taxman, Pollock, Murray & Bekkerman, LLC, you can count on our malpractice lawyers to look at each individual case to determine if a mistake was made. Our legal team also checks if there is a remedy that the law recognizes for that medical mistake and the harm that it caused. Our skilled medical malpractice attorneys have handled all types of medical cases involving matters such as:
- Labor and Delivery issues
- Birth Injuries
- Surgical Errors
- Failure to diagnose cancer
- Missed diagnoses
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Air Embolism
- Failure to properly render treatment
- Bed Sores, Pressure Sores and Decubitus Ulcers
- Medication Errors
- Clogged or dislodged Breathing tubes
What Qualifies as Medical Malpractice?
Not every situation rises to the level of a medical malpractice case. Before you file any claim, it’s a good idea to consult with a medical malpractice lawyer regarding your situation. Malpractice claims have the following characteristics:
- A Violation of the Standard of Care – The standard of care refers to the degree of prudence, caution, and attentiveness that a reasonable physician under the circumstances would exercise. The patient and his/her medical malpractice legal team may hold the health care provider or staff liable for not delivering care that is consistent with the standard of care.
- Harm Caused by Negligence – The victim needs to prove that the negligence of the health professional caused injury.
- An Injury that Led to Specific Damages –The aggrieved party must demonstrate that the injury resulted in significant medical issues and can claim as a result past and future medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and disability.
Determining Compensation from a Medical Malpractice Claim
If you believe that you may have a valid case, you should talk to your trusted medical malpractice attorney about potential compensation. A knowledgeable medical lawyer will advise you that compensation in malpractice cases falls into two categories:
- Non-economic damages. Pain and suffering, disability, and disfigurement falls into this group.
- Economic damages which an attorney can calculate to the dollar. Examples that fall under this category are medical bills and lost wages.
How Long Will a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Take?
The resolution of a malpractice lawsuit depends on a wide range of factors, such as:
- Jurisidiction where the Case is Filed
- Complexity and Strength of the Case
- Type of Medical Procedures Involved
- Nature of the Injuries
Your dedicated medical malpractice attorney will determine the right balance between moving the case along at the correct pace but making sure that every avenue or liability and damages is explored before trial. If your case goes to trial, your knowledgeable medical malpractice legal team will vigorously and aggressively represent you in court.
Why Choose Us as Your Chicago Medical Malpractice Attorney
We have experience in teaching other lawyers about these types of cases. Our skilled medical lawyers have authored publications on medical negligence and we have tried many cases to verdict before juries.
Working in this area of law requires a keen understanding of medical issues and working with experts in the field of medicine to understand the nuances and analyze the outcomes. Our proficient medical malpractice attorneys have worked with medical experts of all kinds in researching medical and healthcare negligence.
We pride ourselves on providing the highest degree of professional service and we are proud of the record we have established in helping people who have unfortunately been the victims of medical malpractice. We view it as a privilege to be selected to represent a client and we take that role very seriously because we know we are their voice and it is our responsibility to tell that client’s story. And we will do everything in our power to achieve a remedy that is as fair as possible. If you have suffered serious injury as the result of medical care, the Chicago, IL experienced medical malpractice lawyers of Taxman, Pollock, Murray & Bekkerman, LLC, can help you make informed decisions about your legal rights.
We pride ourselves on the fact that as our client, a team of legal professionals, medical experts and investigators who are dedicated to your cause will back you.