Should I Hire a Workers’ Comp Attorney?
If you or somebody you care about sustains an injury on-the-job in Chicago, you should be able to recover compensation for your medical bills and a significant portion of your lost wages. Additionally, if you are permanently disabled, you should be able to recover long-term compensation. However, it is not uncommon for insurance carriers or employers to put up a fight when it comes to accepting workers’ compensation claims, and you may need an attorney to help you with your case.
Why You May Need Help With a Work Injury Claim
Workplace injury victims in Chicago and throughout Illinois deserve compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and disabilities. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for work injury claims to be denied by the employer or the insurance carrier.
We do want to point out that there are certainly legitimate reasons why a claim may be denied. Some of the most common reasons that workers’ compensation insurance carriers deny a claim include:
- The injury did not happen at work
- The employer was not notified of the injury within the required timeframe
- The individual was intoxicated or impaired by alcohol or drugs
- The injury occurred as a result of horse playing in the workplace
- The injury victim did not seek any medical treatment for the injury
- The overall workers’ compensation statute of limitations was not met
- The injury is from a pre-existing condition
- The employer disputes the claim
Even though there are legitimate reasons for a workers’ compensation insurance carrier to deny a claim, they often jump the gun and deny the claim too quickly without examining the facts of the case. Additionally, there are times when insurance carriers operate in bad faith and deny a claim even when they know they shouldn’t.
A claim denial is certainly a good reason to work with a workers’ comp attorney in Illinois. Additionally, an attorney will also help if you do not receive enough compensation to cover your expenses.
How a Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Chicago Will Help
If you or somebody you care about has sustained a workplace injury but have received notice that your claim has been denied, or if you are not receiving enough compensation for your losses, you need to reach out to a workers’ compensation attorney in Chicago immediately. A lawyer will play a significant role in your case, which will include:
- Fully investigating the injury incident and gathering evidence to determine what happened
- Presenting these findings to the employer and insurance carrier
- Ensuring you are evaluated by a trusted medical professional who can examine your injuries and medical records
- Handling all negotiations with the workers’ compensation insurance carrier
There is a specific appeals process in place for workers to go through if their claim is denied. This process can be confusing, and it involves going through a relatively formal legal process. An attorney will be by your side to handle every aspect of the workers’ compensation claim appeal, and they will even be able to take your case to trial if necessary. You have a much better chance of having your claim accepted when you have a lawyer by your side than you do by trying to handle the claim yourself.