Chicago Machinery Accident Attorney
Many Chicago employees need to handle heavy machinery to perform their job duties. While these machines are generally safe, accidents can occur, leading to severe and sometimes catastrophic injuries.
If you are in a machinery accident while on the job, call our machinery accident lawyers in Chicago, we can help. Our firm has represented hundreds of injured employees in their workers’ comp claims, and our lawyers will advocate aggressively for your right to benefits. Call us today at (312) 586-1700.
Why Choose Us
- Our firm has recovered over $400 million for our clients. We will pursue every available angle in your claim to achieve the best possible outcome on your behalf.
- Our attorneys bring decades of experience to our clients. We understand each aspect of the workers’ comp process and will guide you through each stage of your claim.
- Workers’ compensation claims often require significant investigation and preparation. Our attorneys will handle all aspects of your claim so you can focus on recovery, not paperwork.
Claiming Workers’ Compensation in Illinois
If you are in a machinery accident while on the job, you have the right to file a workers’ compensation claim. According to the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission, approximately 91 percent of Illinois employers must provide this insurance to their employees. You can recover compensation for medical expenses, short-term lost wages, and long-term disability benefits.
You can file a workers’ compensation claim regardless of whether or not you were at fault for the machinery accident. However, you will need to prove that you sustained the injury on the job. You will also need to prove that the accident did not involve violations of law or company policy, and was not self-inflicted.
To file a workers’ compensation claim in Chicago, you will need to take the following steps.
- Seek medical attention from an authorized provider and save all pieces of evidence related to your accident.
- Notify your employer of your injury within 45 days of the accident. He or she will then file a claim with his or her workers’ compensation insurer within 30 days.
- Continue to receive treatment and report to your employer regularly according to company policy.
- The insurer will then determine whether or not you are eligible for benefits. You have the right to appeal this decision.
Before filing your claim, contact an attorney to discuss your case. Your lawyer will represent you throughout the process and help you complete all necessary paperwork. If you need to negotiate or appeal the decision, your attorney will represent you during these discussions.
Can You File a Lawsuit for a Machinery Accident?
Filing a workers’ compensation claim waives your right to file a lawsuit. However, there are certain situations where you may be eligible to file a civil claim. For example, if you were an independent contractor and the accident involved another person’s negligence, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. If you sustained injuries due to a machinery defect, you could file a claim against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer of that machine.
However, it is important to note that a lawsuit may not be the right path for you. It is important to speak to an attorney at Taxman, Pollock, Murray & Bekkerman, LLC to identify your optimal avenue to maximum recovery.
Contact a Chicago Machinery Accident Attorney Today
Are you the victim of a machinery accident in Chicago? Whether you have grounds for a lawsuit or need to file a workers’ comp claim, the lawyers at Taxman, Pollock, Murray & Bekkerman, LLC can help. Our Chicago work injury attorneys will pursue every angle to secure a maximum recovery on your behalf. Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.